Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our next Emergencies

A long, long story of our next crazy emergency. It all began with the night of Jaxon's first baseball game. I was so excited that the weather had cleared enough that they could play. We were running a little behind time since we were feeding 3 families and coordinating so many schedules.I dropped Jax off and told him I would be back to watch his game. I ran back and got all the kids fed and headed them out the door so we could get back to the ball field. I had all my cute nephews and niece with me and I thought we were doing pretty good. WRONG!!! Somehow Grif had found a stick and tripped with it before we were even 100 feet into the the grass near the ball fields.

I didn't know how bad it was right away. I knew there was a lot of blood but I got everyone over to the bleachers so I didn't lose anyone in the process. there I checked out his arm and right away I knew we would need stitches. We were a block from the urgent care so I thought I would head there, but I ultimately knew we would be at the Children's Hospital again. I left all the kids at the ball field with the other team parents and headed off with grif. I really didn't panic but I just kept thinking WHY? We joke about putting the boys in protective bubbles but if we could actually do it I might really give it a try.



At the Urgent Care when we checked out his injury we could see that it was all the way down to his tendons in his wrist. So off I went to the ER. It is sad to say that we know the nursing staff there and they know us. We even had our same room that we had last time.

It took over 4 hours to get him stitched back up. He had to have x-rays done to make sure the stick hadn't done other damage or left anything behind. We also had to do testing to make sure he didn't have any tendon or nerve damage and then there was the complication of getting the skin to meet up since he took such a big hunk out.

One of the cute moments of the Emergency was Grif insisting that he did not need any more "Shocks". To him they are not shots they are shocks and I have to agree with him there. No matter how much you prepare it is always a shock to get poked with a needle. He growled a little bit at the Dr. as he repeatedly gave him a whole lot of "Shocks" in his little wound. Poor BRAVE little man!

Grif has been there so many times that he knows what he wants and how to get it. So he told them right away that he was expecting a puppy and a Slurpee. Of course he got them because once again he let them stitch him up without any sedation. Should I be worried that he is so calm and relaxed in the Emergency Room?

Could it actually get worse?! Yes, yes it could. Three days later we were supposed to be going skiing when I got a phone call from the State Health Department. They were just calling to inform us that we had been exposed to the measles. While we were checking in at the ER we were exposed to the virus. Because of the exposure we had to get a shot ASAP to help prevent us from getting the measles.

This young man had not been vaccinated and this has caused an outbreak and sent panic throughout the community. Those others who have been exposed and have not been vaccinated and are now at extreme risk of contracting the highly contagious disease.

Grrrrr! I always worry about picking up some nasty germs at the ER but this was an unexpected upset to our already crazy week. The good news is that hopefully we will have prevented our little family from getting the measles. Grif and I survived our "Shocks" and proceed forward to our next week of adventures.

3 comments:

Our Family News said...

Oh my--I am so sorry! That really stinks! I hope all is well now? Let me know if you need anything.

Lynleah (Bevans) Smart said...

So gross!! The fun (wait, I think I mean challenges??) never end at the Konishi house! I can't believe that Griff got stitches with no sedation. That wound was soooo deep. I agree with Griff and you - those shots do feel like shocks!!

Amy said...

Hey Julie!
That's a good one. Your kids know how to do it right.